There was commotion and panic in Osogbo, Osun state capital on Wednesday as suspected political thugs attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
It was gathered that Adeleke, after leaving the INEC office in Osogbo, was sighted at about 3:15 p.m. as his convoy of about 30 vehicles passed through the Olaiya axis of the state capital.
The governor was on his way to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo to formally present his Certificate of Return to the Monarch and express his appreciation, following his victory in Saturday’s governorship election.
However, sources revealed that suspected hoodlums had allegedly learnt of the governor’s planned visit to the palace and had been loitering around the Oja-Oba/Ita-Olookan area ahead of his arrival.
It was gathered that the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus and positioned themselves around the area, while Adeleke was at the palace of the Ataoja.
Sources said the governor had barely concluded his visit and was preparing to leave the palace when security personnel reportedly noticed suspicious movements around the area.
According to the sources, Adeleke was advised not to leave through the same entrance he came apparently as a precautionary measure.
The governor subsequently exited through another route and entered his official vehicle.
It was shortly after he entered the vehicle that the suspected hoodlums allegedly opened fire, sending sporadic gunshots into the air and throwing the area into panic.
The development reportedly created a tense situation around the palace as security personnel attached to the governor immediately engaged the attackers in an attempt to protect Adeleke and members of his entourage.
Sources said the governor’s security details engaged the suspected hoodlums for several minutes, during which the governor and his convoy were temporarily prevented from leaving the area.
The sources described the situation as a brief hostage-like standoff, as the governor remained within the secured convoy while his security personnel battled to push back the attackers.
The hoodlums reportedly fled the scene after they were overpowered by the governor’s security details.
It was further gathered that the exchange of gunfire resulted in damage to the gate of the Ataoja’s palace.
Despite the intensity of the incident, no casualty has been reported. Neither the state government or the state police command has spoken on the matter.
Discover more from The Source
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.








