The Presidential Candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, Peter Obi, has advised that Nigeria must not allow the worsening insecurity to become normal.
A former two-term Governor of Anambra State, Obi called on Governments at all levels to take urgent and decisive action to end the wave of killings, abductions and destruction of communities across the country.
Obi, in a statement on Sunday, said the recent attacks in Benue, Plateau and Niger states had further exposed the worsening security situation in Nigeria, warning that the country must not be allowed to degenerate into a “killing field.”
He expressed concern over the recent attacks in the three North-Central states, noting that communities had continued to suffer killings, abductions, displacement and destruction of homes and livelihoods.
In Plateau State, Obi cited the attack in Jwak Maitumbi, Mangu Local Government Area, where at least 23 people were officially reported killed, while residents reportedly put the death toll above 30. He also noted reports that more than 45 houses were destroyed.
He further cited recent attacks in Borgu, Niger State, where reports put the death toll at over 40, with more than 100 people allegedly abducted, although he acknowledged that the figures remained contested.
Obi pointed out that the attacks came amid continuing violence in Benue, where communities had faced repeated killings, abductions and destruction of property.
“What is happening to our country?” Obi asked, expressing concern that Nigerians were being attacked in their communities despite the country not being formally at war.
According to him, citizens were being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and deprived of their means of livelihood.
He argued that the violence in Benue, Plateau and Niger should no longer be treated as isolated incidents, but as part of a wider national security crisis requiring coordinated intervention.
“What is happening in Benue, Plateau and Niger is similar to what is happening elsewhere in the country, with some attacks even going unreported.
“The violence across these states must no longer be treated as isolated incidents. It is a national security emergency requiring urgent and coordinated action.”
The presidential candidate urged the Federal, state governments and other relevant authorities to intensify efforts to protect vulnerable communities and improve intelligence gathering and rapid-response operations.
He also called for the rescue of abducted Nigerians and the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for the attacks.
“Government must protect vulnerable communities, improve intelligence and rapid-response capabilities, rescue abducted Nigerians, and arrest and prosecute those responsible,” Obi said.
He warned against the continued practice of responding to attacks only after lives had been lost, stressing the need for security agencies to develop stronger preventive measures.
“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen.”
Obi maintained that the protection of lives and property remained the most fundamental responsibility of government, urging authorities to rise to the challenge and restore the confidence of citizens.
“Protecting lives and property is the most basic duty of government. Nigerians deserve nothing less,” he said.
He concluded with a warning that “Nigeria must not become a killing field”
Discover more from The Source
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.








