Home Blog Page 1248

Soldiers Repel Invasion By Unknown Gunmen In Plateau Communities

0

By Ayodele Oni

Despite the imposition of curfew in Plateau State, many were reportedly killed when soldiers and some  gunmen clashed in two villages of Mangu Local Government Area.

The clash, which happened on Saturday, occurred as Governor Caleb Mutfwang relaxed the 24-hour curfew imposed on the area.

It was gathered that about 30 gunmen were killed while some soldiers sustained injuries during the clash at Satguru and Tyop villages.

A security source was quoted as saying that  “The incident occurred between 7 to 7:30 am when the gunmen came in their numbers and started attacking some communities along Gindri road. In no time, the soldiers were alerted and immediately responded.

“About 30 of the gunmen were killed while more than 50 of them were arrested with guns and ammunition. Four soldiers were equally injured.”

Another source in the area who also pleaded for anonymity confirmed the incident adding that people were still in fear.

Spokesperson of Operation Safe Haven, a multi-security taskforce maintaining peace in the area, stated that more operatives have been put on alert to curtail any further attack.

Governor Mutfwang had said following the improvement of security, the curfew should be relaxed from 8 am to 4 pm.

India Approves $7bn Investment For Nigeria

0

The government of India has approved $7 billion for Nigeria as part of the $14 billion foreign investment the country promised last year.

The Narendra Modi-led country hosted the G20 Summit last September in New Delhi where $14 billion was pledged by Indian businessmen for Nigeria.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu who attended the summit in the India’s capital signed the deal with the investors on behalf of the federal government.

According to the Indian High Commissioner to Nigeria, Gangadharan Balasubramanian the 47 billion foreign capital was singed Friday night during India’s 75th Republic Day celebrations.

The India diplomat said his country now has a combined investment of over $27 billion in Nigeria, adding that no fewer than 150 Indian companies are currently operating in the country.

He explained that the diplomatic relations between the two countries dated back to Nigeria’s independence in 1960, adding that the ties was further strengthened by President Tinubu’s visit to his country during the G20 Summit.

The envoy said, “With the ties dating back to before Nigeria’s independence, our bilateral relations have been nurtured by the leadership of both the countries.

“Our economic and trade relations are strong and growing. Currently nearly 150 Indian companies with an investment of USD 27 billion are in Nigeria, mainly in the manufacturing sector and employ the largest number of people after the Federal Government.

“Owing to the special relationship, India had invited Nigeria as a Guest Country during her presidency of G20.  We had a memorable visit of H.E. Mr. Bola Ahmed Tinubu, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to the G20 Summit last year in September, that consolidated the ties further.

“Out of the 14 billion promised during this visit as investment into Nigerian economy, 7 billion has already been signed immediately after the visit.

” Earlier this week, we had a successful visit of our External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar for the Joint Commission meeting.

“He had interactions with the leadership and business community in Nigeria and the Indian Diaspora.

“We stand shoulder to shoulder with our Nigerian friends in our joint journey towards development and would like to convey the commitment of the Government of India in further strengthening our ties.”

India is one of the countries with the highest foreign capital in Nigeria, with investments spanning food and beverages, Oil and gas, amongst others.

Eze Ohiri: “Ransom Was Paid For My Release From My Kidnappers, Police Did Not Rescue Me”

0
Eze Samuel Agunwa Ohiri

By Charles Igbo

Says he was blind-folded, paid ransom in two instalments

His Royal Highness, Eze Samuel Agunwa Ohiri has put a lie to the Police version of how he was “rescued” from his kidnappers.

Ohiri, the Traditional Ruler of  Obi-Orodo Community, and the immediate past Chairman of  the Imo State Traditional Rulers Council, was kidnapped on January 6, 2024, in front of his Palace.

12 days after he was abducted by the gunmen, the Imo State Police Command announced the heart-warming news that the Command has, in an operation, rescued the Traditional Ruler from the hands of the hoodlums.

However, on Friday, January 26, Ohiri put a lie to the claim by the Police Command that its operatives rescued him. He said the claim was false. He said he was not rescued by any security personnel. He said he was released by his abductors after ransom had been paid, thanks to God and his family.

Ohiri who spoke to Journalists on his experience while in the hands of his abductors also recounted how he was abducted. And, contrary to the story which made the rounds that he was abducted by 8.30am as he drove into his Palace, he was abducted by 8.30pm outdide the gate of his Palace when the hoodlums double-crossed his vehicle which was being driven by his cousin, Solomon.

Solomon who came in from the USA to spend his vacation, Eze Ohiri said, introduced himself to the hood6as just “a driver” and was allowed to go.

Eze Ohiri’s words: “Contrary to what the police said about my release, there is no hiding the fact that they never played any role.

“I actually don’t want to speak on this but I’m doing it just to set the records straight. I’m not disputing the fact that the police may have made efforts towards my release but I’m talking about what I know.

“It was my relationship with God and the help from my family people that made it possible. Although, that was after we paid a ransom.”

On how he was abducted, he said: “I was coming back after visiting my friend around 8:30pm when I met able-bodied men in front of my palace gate who came in their vehicle.

“They double-crossed me and forced me into their vehicle. My cousin-brother smartly introduced himself as my driver and they set him free.

“They now blindfolded me and zoomed off to an unknown destination.

“I saw hell within the twelve days I spent in their den. Negotiation began between my people and the kidnappers and I was eventually set free after the payment of first and second ransom was made.”

Solomon was arrested thereafter by the Police for interrogation. He has since been released.

Prof Emezue, DVC ABSU, Kidnapped, In First High Profile Abduction Under Governor Otti

0
Professor Godwin Emezue DVC Abia State University

By Daniel Maduka

The spate of kidnap for ransom and violent criminal activities rocking the South-east has continued.

On Friday, January 26, 2024, in Umuahia, the Abia state Capital,  the Deputy Vice Chancellor, DVC, Abia State university Uturu ,Professor Godwin Emezue was Kidnapped by gunmen.

Prof Emezue was reportedly abducted, bundled into  an SUV Lexus vehicle, and whisked away by three gunmen.

The wife of the DVC who narrated the ugly incident to the media, said the  abductors dragged her husband out of their vehicle while they were trying to refill at a  refilling station in Umuekwule Amachara area of Umuahia South Local Council of Abia state, and subsequently dragged him into their operation vehicle, and headed towards the Imo/ Abia border along Obowo/ Owerri Road.

This Magazine notes that the abduction of Prof Emezue marks  the first high profile kidnap incident under the regime of Governor Alex Otti in the State.

During must part of the immediate past administration of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, some parts of the State, particularly the Isuochi/ Umoneochi/ Uturu axis were known havens for  kidnappings and other violent criminal activities,with the Emeritus Prelate of the Methodist Church Nigeria His Eminence Most Rev Uche being one  of  the high profile victims.

However, with the bursting, a few months ago, of the numerous kidnap cells within the Lokpanta Cattle Market and environs by the present administration in the state , the menace appeared to have subsided.

Meanwhile, Prof Emezue’s family, and other concerned individuals have called on security agencies to take all necessary steps to rescue him .

As at the time of reporting, Saturday January 27 ,the abductors were yet to communicate with the family members of their victim.

Reactions Trail Kidnap Of Lagos PDP Chairman; LP, PDP, Call For Immediate Release

0
Phillip Olabode Aivoji - Lagos PDP Chairman kidnapped

By Ayodele Oni

The Lagos State Chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has cried out over the abduction of its chairman Philip Aivoji on Thursday.

The party in a statement on Friday explained that the chairman was returning from a meeting in Ibadan and was kidnapped along Lagos/Ibadan highway.

The statement, signed by its publicity secretary, Hakeem Amode called on security agencies and government authorities at all levels to intervene promptly and secure the release of Aivoji.

It stated that “Aivoji was abducted on Thursday, January 25, 2024, around 6 pm on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway while returning from a stakeholders meeting in Oyo State convened by Governors Seyi Makinde and Ademola Adeleke.

“It is disheartening that kidnapping has become a prevalent issue in our country, and the government’s inability to address this menace is deeply concerning.

“The abduction of Aivoji underscores the pressing need for decisive actions from the government and stakeholders to eradicate this menace. Aivoji’s abduction was a violent incident, and his current whereabouts or any communication from the abductors remain unknown.

“We implore the governments of Oyo, Ogun, and Lagos States, alongside security agencies, to expedite efforts and secure his safe return to his family and well-wishers.

“We firmly believe that, with increased efforts from security agencies, Aivoji can be rescued from these criminals, and we call on the public to support initiatives aimed at ending this threat to innocent lives.”

Reacting to the incident, Dr. Abdul-Azeez Olajide Adediran (JANDOR), the governorship candidate of Lagos PDP in the 2023 general elections expressed shock over the news of kidnapping of the State Party Chairman along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway yesterday.

It was reported that the Lagos PDP Chairman, Mr. Philip Aivoji and some other members of the party were kidnapped while on their way from a party function in Ibadan yesterday.

Dr. Adediran described the unfortunate incident as a disturbing dimension to the growing insecurity in the country, especially in the South West.

He stated that the abysmal failure of government in the area of security has further put the lives of the citizens in grave danger.

Adediran demanded urgent action from the security agencies to facilitate immediate release of the abducted party chairman. He also advised that the regional local security outfit, Amotekun should collaborate with the police in this rescue mission.

However, Dr. Adediran prayed for divine intervention as he enjoined the party faithful not to despair but

to keep praying for the speedy release of the kidnapped chairman and others.

A report on Friday evening revealed that abductors of the politician have demanded for N200 million ransome to secure his release.

Lagos PDP Chairman Kidnapped Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Abductors, Allegedly, Demands N200m Ransom

0
Phillip Olabode Aivoji - Lagos PDP Chairman kidnapped

By Akinwale Kasali

Opposition Party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Lagos State Chairman, Phillip Olabode Aivoji has been abducted by unknown gunmen.

It was gathered that the PDP Chieftain was kidnapped while coming back from the PDP South West Stakeholders Forum held on Thursday, January 25th, 2024 in Ibadan, Oyo State Capital.

Wole Adedapo, the PDP Treasurer in Lagos witnessed the abduction and escaped being kidnapped  by a whisker.

Unconfirmed reports states that the abductors are demanding for the sum of N200 Million for his release.

Ogun State Police Command Spokesperson, Omolola Odutola, confirmed the reports. She said that there was an abduction at the Bamboo area, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway inward Lagos.

She added that security personnel are on top of the incident and are making efforts to rescue the abducted victims while claiming not to know the identities of the kidnapped victims.

“Our men rescued some of the victims and are making efforts to reunite the others with their families,” she said.

The Lagos PDP Secretary, Soji Orioye has appealed to the abductors to release him because he is an elderly frail man who was on an official assignment before the abduction.

He also pleaded with Security Agencies to swing into action by ensuring that he is rescued and returned home to meet his waiting family.

Also, Oyo State PDP’s Publicity Secretary, Hakeem Amode, on Friday,  called on security agencies and Government authorities at all levels to intervene promptly and secure the release of its chairman.

The statement read, “It is disheartening that kidnapping has become a prevalent issue in our country, and the government’s inability to address this menace is deeply concerning.

“The abduction of Aivoji underscores the pressing need for decisive actions from the government and stakeholders to eradicate this menace.

“Aivoji’s abduction was a violent incident, and his current whereabouts or any communication from the abductors remain unknown.

“We implore the governments of Oyo, Ogun, and Lagos states, alongside security agencies, to expedite efforts and secure his safe return to his family and well-wishers.

“We firmly believe that, with increased efforts from security agencies, Aivoji can be rescued from these criminals, and we call on the public to support initiatives aimed at ending this threat to innocent lives.”

Uzodimma Sacks Management Of Imo State Waste Management Company

0
Hope Uzodimma

Imo State Governor, Senator Hope Uzodimma, has sacked the Management Team of the Imo State Waste Management Company.

A release on Friday by the Governor’s Spokesperson, Oguwike Nwachuku, said  the Governor also approved, with immediate effect, new members to manage the  Company.

Said the Press Release:

“The Governor of Imo State, His Excellency, Sen. Hope Uzodimma, has approved the appointment of a new management team for the Imo State Waste Management Company as follows:

“1. Cyril Njoku (Managing Director)

“2 Agbi Isimeme (Deputy Managing Director)

“3 Ugochukwu Aghazie (Director of Operations)

“All the appointments are with immediate effect.

“Consequently, the former management of the Company should hand over to the new management immediately.”

Uzodimma has just started his second term in office after being sworn-in on January 15, 2024 before a high profile congregation.

“Again, Private Jet Conveying VIPs Crash Lands In Ibadan, Skids Into Bush

0
Private Jet Crash Land in Ibadan

By Akinwale Kasali

A Private Jet conveying 10 important personalties from Abuja to Ibadan overshot the runway at the Ladoke Akintola Airport.

The Jet with registration number, N580KR, missed the runway and skidded into the nearby bush.

Firefighters and rescue officials from the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, rushed to the scene to salvage the situation. Remarkably, there was no death or casualty recorded.

Carol Adekotujo, Spokesperson for the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, disclosed that there was no casualty, as the Jet land r safely but overshoot the runway, as there were no casualty.

Also, spokesman for the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau, NSIB, Tunji Oketunmbi, confirmed the incident but said a team has been dispatched to the site for a probe.

This is the second time in recent months a private jet would crash at the Ladoke Akintola Airport. In November, the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, escaped death when a private jet he was on board, with his aides, crash-landed at the same airport.

Police Orders Immediate Arrest Of Persons Indulging In Same Gender Marriage

0
Kayode Egbetokun - IGP

By Akinwale Kasali

The  Nigeria Police Force is set to wield the big stick on those indulging in same gender marriage. This is because the Inspector General of Police, Dr Kayode Egbetokun, has ordered the immediate arrest of Gays, Lesbians and those engaging in same gender Marriages. The IGP said that it is illegal and prohibited under Sections 214 to 217 of the Criminal Code.

The Police headquarters has, therefore, ordered the arrest of culprits found to be engaged in the unlawful acts in the country.

In a statement,  the Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Muyiwa Adejobi, said:

“It is imperative to note that same-s€x marriage is strictly prohibited in Nigeria. The same-s€x marriage (Prohibition) Act of 2014 criminalizes the solemnization, operation and public display of same-sex marriages.

“Following recent trend on social media where some individuals, who identify as queer, were visibly encouraging and associating themselves with activities perceived to be unnatural in light of Nigerian laws, the Nigeria Police Force hereby wishes to enlighten the public on the legal aspects concerning unnatural offences and same-s*x marriage within the country.

“By the Nigerian Criminal Code Act applicable in the Southern states, unnatural offences are prohibited under Sections 214 to 217.

“These sections specifically criminalize acts considered unnatural, such as having carnal knowledge of a person or permitting a person to have carnal knowledge of one against the order of nature or having carnal knowledge of an animal and those found guilty may face legal consequences as outlined by the law.

“This is re-echoed by Section 284 of the Nigerian Penal Code applicable in the Northern part of the country. Similarly, it is imperative to note that same-s*x marriage is strictly prohibited in Nigeria.

“The Same-s€x Marriage (Prohibition) Act of 2014 criminalizes the solemnization, operation, and public display of same-sex marriages.

“We, therefore, emphasize the importance of understanding and adhering to these laws as any violation will be met with due legal processes.”

“Lower Your Expectations From President Tinubu’s Administration”, Buhari’s Aide, Garba Shehu Tells Nigerians

0
Garba Shehu

By Akinwale Kasali

An Aide to former President Muhammadu Buhari, Garba Shehu, has urged Nigerians not to be too expectant of any giant stride or development from the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu administration.

Shehu said that the failure of Nigerians to lower their expectations affected President Buhari former  while he was in office.

Shehu said Nigerians have continually failed to learn from the past, which is having a toll on their expectations.

He said this while speaking during the 21st Daily Trust Annual Dialogue organized by the Trust Media Group in Abuja on Friday.

Shehu Stressed that Buhari was a major victim of high expectations and this is also the problem President Tinubu is facing.

He said, “President Muhammadu Buhari is a victim of the crisis of expectations and I think that the lesson for Nigerians from what I saw during the Buhari period and even Tinubu is, that Nigerians should begin to lower their expectations on political leaders.

“This is because these expectations are simply inhuman. Leaders can do a lot of things but no leader can do everything.

“During the time of Buhari, travellers to the Eastern Region used to spend about three days on the road, but after massive investment in infrastructure by Buhari, the travel time has reduced to about six hours.

“The government then also banned the importation of rice; after that, our farmers became so productive that production of rice skyrocketed and we were even feeding the whole of West Africa.”