NewsFormer World Bantam Weight Boxing Champion, Zolani Tete Murdered In Cold Blood

Former World Bantam Weight Boxing Champion, Zolani Tete Murdered In Cold Blood

spot_img

By Akinwale Kasali

Access Bank Advert

 

Zolani Tete, Two-Time Bantam Weight Boxing Champion has been shot dead outside his home in South Africa.

 

The 38-Year Old Boxer was shot dead by killers who laid ambush for him outside his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, at about 6:30pm on Friday night.

 

According to the Police he had arrived at his residence when he was approached by two unknown armed suspects wearing balaclavas while he was waiting for the gate to open.

 

His killers who are currently at large, reportedly,  emerged from a vehicle and opened fire on Tete and a 27-year-old female passenger, who remains in hospital.

 

 Tete sadly succumbed to his injuries and was declared dead on the scene.

 

Police spokesperson, Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana, said the  female passenger sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment, as she remains hospitalized.

 

According to Gantana, “In an attempt to escape the hail of bullets, the deceased drove his vehicle into the yard.”

 

The late Boxer held the WBO bantamweight title from 2017 to 2019, and also holds a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a title fight after he knocked out Siboniso Gonya inside just 11 seconds in 2017.

 

Gayton McKenzie, South Africa’s Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture said: “South Africa has lost one of the finest fighters it has ever produced.

 

“Zolani “Last Born” Tete was shot and killed this evening in Mdantsane, at his own home, at the age of 38. A 27-year-old woman who was in the car with him was shot multiple times and is in hospital tonight. I wish her a full recovery, and I ask that her privacy and the family’s be respected.

READ ALSO:  Ahead 2027: APC Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council: Names Yari DG, Uzodimma, Secretary

 

“I want to speak first to his family and to the people of Mdantsane. There are no words I can offer tonight that will be equal to what you have lost. Your Son’s name will not be treated lightly by this country, and my Department and I are at your disposal in the days ahead, in whatever way is useful to you.

 

“He was sitting at his own gate, waiting for it to open, and that is where they came for him. I will not speculate about who did this or why. That investigation belongs to the South African Police Service, and the detectives working it tonight need support.

 

“Two armed men in balaclavas got out of a car in Mdantsane and killed one of our greatest world champion at his own front gate, and they are still out there tonight. I appeal to anyone who saw anything, who knows anything, who heard anything, to come forward. Somebody in that community knows who did this”, McKenzie stated.

 

Tete last fought in London in July 2022, beating Jason Cunningham by knockout for his 30th professional win in 35 fights, but it was later ruled a no-contest after he failed a drugs test.

READ ALSO:  Osun: Oyebamiji’s Peace Advocacy Is Welcome Development –  Gov. Adeleke

 

A year later, he was issued a four-year ban by the UK Anti-Doping Agency after testing positive for stanozolol.

 

His ban ended on July 29 this year and after his death,

Manager Mla Tengimfene, confirmed he was training for a comeback fight on November 29.

 

Since 2022, the late Tete had not fought, but was training for a comeback after a drug ban.

 

Boxing South Africa had said that the deceased ‘inspired a generation of fighters’ with his career.

 

Tete had said in an interview with The Ring earlier in the year, “It’s been a tough and long journey and I am happy it’s finally coming to an end”.

 

The late boxer was still protesting his innocence over the adverse drug test finding, insisting: “I don’t accept the ban because I’m a clean and fair athlete”, he had claimed.

 

When asked if he was going to return to boxing, he said: “Oh yes definitely, my plan is still unfinished.

 

 “It’s been a while since I stepped inside the ring, I am looking forward to my comeback fight and getting back to winning way”.

 

News of his untimely demise had been met with an outpouring of tributes from across the boxing world, including a statement from the sport’s governing body in South Africa.

 

It reads: “Boxing South Africa (BSA) has learnt with profound shock and sadness of the untimely passing of former IBF Junior Bantamweight and WBO Bantamweight World Champion, Zolani ‘Last Born’ Tete.

READ ALSO:  Another Fake Federal Agency: President Tinubu Sacks Three Permanent Secretaries, Orders Arrest Of Operator, Nwabueze

 

“The tragic incident reportedly occurred on the evening of Friday, 21 August 2026, in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Tete family, his manager Mlandeli Tengimfene, the All-Winners Boxing Club, and Last-Born Boxing Promotions during this incredibly difficult time.

 

‘Zolani Tete was more than a champion. He was an icon of South African boxing. A product of the famed All Winners Mdantsane boxing stable.

 

“He etched his name in history as one of the country’s few two-weight world champions. His achievements in the ring from winning the IBF junior-bantamweight title in Japan in 2014 to claiming the WBO bantamweight crown, inspired a generation of fighters.

 

“His legacy includes holding the record for the fastest world title defence in boxing history, needing just 11 seconds to stop Siboniso Gonya in 2017.

 

“We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and the entire boxing fraternity. The sport has lost a true warrior and ambassador.

 

“Further details regarding official tributes and memorial arrangements will be shared upon engagement with the Tete family. We kindly request that the family’s privacy be respected during this period of mourning”, the statement reads.


Discover more from The Source

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

The Source Magazine

Share your story or advertise with us: WhatsApp: +2348174884527, Email: [email protected]

Your Comment Here

More articles