Home Blog Page 1282

Nigeria Turns Back, Rejects University Degree Certificates From Togo, Benin Republic

0
Certificates From Togo

By Ayodele Oni

Following the controversy surrounding University degrees obtained at institutions in neighbouring Benin Republic and Togo, the Federal Government has announced the suspension of evaluation and accreditation of degree certificates from the two countries.

This was contained in a statement on Tuesday, signed by Augustina Obilor-Duru on behalf of the Director Press and Public Relations, Federal Ministry of Education.

According to Obilor-Duru, the decision followed an investigative report by a Nigerian Newspaper titled: “UNDERCOVER: reporter bagged Cotonou varsity degree in six weeks” published last week.

The Federal Government  lamented that “some Nigerians deploy nefarious means and unconscionable methods to get a Degree with the end objective of getting graduate job opportunities for which they are not qualified.”

According to the statement, the suspension persists pending the outcome of an investigation involving the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Education of Nigeria and the two countries as well as the Department of State Security Services (DSS), and the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC).

Rivers Crisis: Fubara Claims Victory, Dares Wike, Appoints  New  Chief Of Staff

0

By Akinwale Kasali

Twice since New Year’s Day, Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers State has shown that he can bite.  The Governor has been under the shadows of his predecessor, Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Minister, Nyesom Wike.

Until the two of them disagreed over what none of them has been courageous enough to tell public, Wike was literally in charge of the Government, and made, almost,  all the appointments.

The crisis has had a devastating effect on the State and factionalised the House of Assembly.

In the  aftermath, there were two Speakers, one loyal to Wike, the other, loyal to Governor Fubara. And even though the Court recognised Edison Ehie,  the Speaker loyal to Fubara, when President Bola Tinubu intervened in the crisis between Wike and Fubara, he asked Ehie to stand down for Wike’s Speaker Amaewhule.

On January 1st, 2024 Ehie not only quit as Speaker but resigned from the House of Assembly. That resignation brought out the man in Fubara.

On January 2, 2024, Fubara

appointed Ehie as his new Chief of Staff, CoS. Before the crisis, Wike’s Chief of Staff as Governor continued  as Fubara’s Chief of Staff.

On the same day, in Opobo where he spoke to the people, Fubara told his audience that he remains the winner in the crisis between him and Wike.

He said that those who wanted him out of office have lost because “I am still in office as Governor.”

The drama is still unfolding.

What President Tinubu’s New Year Message Failed To Address – Omokri

0
Reno Omokri

By Ayodele Oni

As reactions continue to trail President Bola Tinubu’s New Year message to Nigerians, Social Media influencer, Reno Omokri, has noted that the speech was silent on sacrifices being made by the ruling class as a result of the economic downturn.

Omokri wrote on his X page:

“What was missing from President Bola Tinubu’s New Year’s Day broadcast to the nation was sacrifice.

“Yes, he admitted that the economy was tottering when he took over on May 29, 2023, and he has had to make difficult decisions that have been telling on the Nigerian people, and has resulted in an inflation rate of 28%. But where is his own sacrifice? And that of his government?

“It is not enough for him to ask us to play our parts. We must first see that the government is living up to its commitments.

“When a country faces economic challenges, the leadership cannot expect the people to make sacrifices without first making them. What I expected to hear from the president was, for example, that:

“All jets in the Presidential Air Fleet have been sold except two. All foreign travel by public and civil servants have been embargoed, except where they are strictly in the national interest, and must first be approved by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, if they are civilians, or the National Security Adviser, if they are military and paramilitary personnel.

“All Ministries, Departments and Agencies of the Federal Government are hereby directed to purchase made-in-Nigeria goods and services exclusively, and it will be a dismissible offence for any MDA to patronise a foreign good or service where there is a Nigerian alternative.

“The Legislature and Judiciary are advised to take the same course.

Forthwith, the Federal Government shall not participate in sponsoring, subsidising, or supporting pilgrimages, whether by Muslim or Christian pilgrims.

“Religion and pilgrimages are a personal exercise, and the only time that the government shall play is to regulate the processes to make them orderly.

“All military and police personnel performing non-essential duties, as well as those who retired in the last ten years, are hereby recalled to active duty and shall be sent to Plateau, Zamfara, Niger, Benue and other security hotspots to end the carnage in those places and ensure that there is security of life and property for all Nigerians.

“Finally, the Federal Government, under my leadership, shall operate under a low profile, and any overt or covert acts of exhibition of wealth are not to be tolerated and shall be met with punitive measures.

“If the President’s New Year’s message had taken steps along the lines above, then he would have become a national hero and disarmed all his political opponents, as well as mobilised the nation behind him. But it is not too late. It is not too late.

“I wish all Nigerians a happy New Year and pray for our leaders at the Federal, state and Local Governments that God may give them the wisdom needed to fulfil their duties properly.”

Actor Zack Orji’s Health Improves, As First Lady, Remi Tinubu, Visits Him

0
Zack Orji

By Adesina Soyooye

Hope for the full recovery of veteran Nollywood Actor, Zack Orji is alive, according to the National Hospital Abuja.

The Actor was rushed to the hospital after he slumped in the restroom over the weekend.  His condition remained critical. But on Tuesday, January 2, the Public Relations Officer of the National Hospital, Tayo Hastrop gave an inkling of hope when he said that the Actor’s condition has improved. Proof: Orji, he disclosed, is in stable condition, and has started talking – unlike before when he couldn’t talk.

The cheery news came just as Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, visited the Actor on New  Year’s Day in the hospital. The First Lady who was there to welcome the first baby of the year, siezed the opportunity to visit the ailing Actor.

Mrs Tinubu was accompanied on the visit by the wife of the Vice President, Hajia Nana Shettima, the Minister for Women Affairs, Mrs Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, the wife of the Minister for Works, Mrs Rachael Umahi, and the wife of the Minister of State, Defence, Hajia Bello Matawalle

For the records, Zack Orji is a strong loyalist of President Bola Tinubu. During Tinubu’s campaign for the Presidential seat, the Actor was very active.

Again, Magnus Abe Defects To APC, Dumps SDP

0

By Adesina Soyooye

For the umpteenth time, Senator Magnus Abe of Rivers State, is dumping another Political Party and defecting to another. The Senator has gone back and forth major Political Parties since 1999.

He began with the Action for Democracy, AD, defected to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. While in the Party, he was appointed a Commissioner under the Governor Peter Odili Government, and the Secretary to the State Government under the Rotimi Amaechi Government.

He later contested, and won a Senatorial seat. When Amaechi dumped the PDP for the APC, Abe was one of his loyalists who followed him.

But mid-way, he fell out with Amaechi over his ambition to succeed him  in office as Governor. Thereafter, he dumped the APC, and began moonlighting in mushroom parties from where he contested for the Governorship seat. He made no headway.

In the February, 25, 2023 Governorship election, Abe was the Governorship Candidate of the Social Democratic Party, even though he remained a very strong ally of then Candidate Bola Tinubu.

However, speaking on Channels Television on January 2, 2024, Abe announced that he is headed back to the APC.

“Politically, I am headed back to APC”, he said.

Not a few people think Abe’s decision to head back to the APC is the best for him if he is to remain politically relevant. With his ally, Tinubu, as President, and his estranged former boss, Amaechi, reduced to a nobody in the APC, Abe’s decision to head back to APC is smart, they said.

Death On The Plateau: CAN Sues For Peace

0

President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Daniel Okoh has called on Nigerians to pray for the victims of bandits attacks on Plateau State.

Some suspected bandits had attacked two communities on Christmas Eve resulting in the death of many, including children and women.

According to reports, close to 200 persons were killed while over 220 houses were burnt by the bandits.

Unconfirmed  report also claimed that over 10,000 persons have been displaced following the attack.
Okoh’s message was contained in his new year message to Nigerians. He described the bandits as evil people who sought to turn the joy of Christmas to sadness for Nigerians.

He urged Nigerians not to be swayed by the terrorists, adding that what is required at this time is unity to lead the country to prosperity.

Okoh said, “In the face of these adversities, it is imperative that we, as a people, refuse to be discouraged. Instead, we must come together and remain resolute in our commitment to build a united, peaceful, and prosperous nation.

” It is in our togetherness that we find the strength to withstand the trials that beset us. In unity, there is hope, resilience, and the power to rebuild. Let us embrace our diversity and allow it to be the bedrock upon which we build a stronger, more harmonious nation.

“Together, as one united people, we are capable of creating a Nigeria where peace, justice, and prosperity are not just ideals, but realities for all.”

Plateau: Suspected ‘Killers’ Of Christmas Eve Attack Arrested

0

General Christopher Musa, the Chief of Defence Staff, has disclosed that some suspects who attacked two local governments in the state on December 24 have been arrested.


The Defence chief made this known on Monday on Channels Television, saying security agencies are working with local authorities in the state, to reclaim areas under the control of the criminals.


Once the areas have been recovered, Musa said those displaced from the two communities would be resettled back to their homes.


Reacting to the allegation that the military did not respond on time to the attack, the CDS said his men have been overstretched, and cannot be “everywhere” at the same time.


He said the intension of the terrorists was to embarrass the government, vowing that such would not be allowed to repeat itself.


“We are working with the state governments to identify these areas, this year God willing we will make sure bandits hold no community.


“I think the purpose is to embarrass everybody and to make the government look stupid and whoever did this, we are up on their heels and making some arrests.”


Recall that over 150 persons were killed by the terrorists in two communities, leaving many people displaced.

FG Spends N100bn To Boost School Enrolment

0

The federal government has allocated N100 billion from the 2024 Budget for the school feeding programme.

President Bola Tinubu disclosed this on Monday while signing into law the monetary estimate for the year, in Abuja the nation’s capital.

Top government officials who witnessed the signing, include the Senate President, Speaker of the House of Representatives, among other members of the National Assembly.

According to the president the federal government is deliberate on the school feeding programme in other to reduce the number of out of school children in the country.

To ensure that the programme succeed, Tinubu said the federal and state government would collaborate.
Nigeria has one of the highest number of out of school children in the world, according to UNESCO.

According to federal government records, the programme have encourage many children who could have dropped out of school due to poverty, particularly in the northern part of the country.

Tinubu said, “One of the priority areas of the bill we just passed is the N100 billion provision for the feeding of school children. I believe that is a stimulant that will encourage school enrolment and also address malnutrition among school children.

“I will be meeting with local government at sub-national levels so that we can collaborate and jointly implement an all-inclusive programme.”

Hold Leaders Accountable –  NUJ President

0
Mr Chris Isiguzo

By Ayodele Oni

National President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, (NUJ) Chris Isiguzo has urged Nigerians to be patient with President Bola Tinubu in the course of implementing his Renewed Agenda Programme.

Isiguzo in his message, also charged journalists to live up to expectation of holding government accountable to the people.

According to him, “Change takes time, and in the spirit of unity, let us be patient as the administration works towards achieving its goals for the betterment of our nation.

“President Tinubu’s agenda carries the promise of revitalized governance, economic prosperity, and social cohesion.

“It is incumbent upon us, as responsible citizens, to engage constructively, hold our leaders accountable, and actively contribute to the building of a nation we can all be proud of.

“The dawning of 2024 brings with it the promise of a fresh start, renewed hope, and the opportunity for collective growth. In the spirit of reflection and anticipation, I address you today with a message of optimism and a call for unity.

“Our noble profession of journalism holds a unique responsibility in shaping the narrative of our nation. In the face of challenges, the pen remains mightier than the sword.

“As journalists, we are entrusted with the crucial task of disseminating information, uncovering truth, and safeguarding the principles of democracy.

“The year ahead holds immense potential for progress and positive change. It is a canvas upon which we can paint a future built on the foundations of transparency, accountability, and shared prosperity.

“I implore each of you to approach your work with an unwavering commitment to journalistic ethics, ensuring that the public is informed and empowered.

“Amidst the evolving dynamics of our society, the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) stands as a steadfast advocate for press freedom, professional development, and the welfare of its members.

“In the pursuit of truth, let us also foster an environment that encourages innovation, inclusivity, and the highest standards of reporting.

As we embark on this new journey, I wish to address our fellow citizens with a plea for patience and understanding.

“The federal government, under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is navigating the complexities of governance with a vision encapsulated in the Renewed Hope Agenda.

“In closing, I express my gratitude to each journalist across Nigeria for your tireless dedication to the pursuit of truth. May 2024 be a year of resilience, growth, and collective achievement.

“Let us move forward with hope in our hearts, unity in our actions, and an unwavering commitment to the ideals that make our profession and our nation great.”

APC  Asks Ladi Adebutu To Face His Criminal Charges, Accuses Of Patronizing President Tinubu

0
Oladipupo Adebutu

By Akinwale Kasali

The All Progressives Congress, APC, has accused Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Ogun State Governorship, Ladi Adebutu of patronizing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over criminal charges leveled against him.

The Ogun State Chapter of the APC said that Adebutu had been evading Court Papers since his return to Nigeria recently after over eight months of “medical vacation” abroad, was quoted to have said at a new year party that “President Bola Ahmed Tinubu belongs to us all. Nobody can claim to the presidency, it belongs to all Nigerians. Stop harassing us, we are all Tinubu’s children.”

The Ogun State APC in a statement issued in Abeokuta, the State Capital on Monday and signed by its state publicity secretary, Tunde Oladunjoye, advised Adebutu to “stop evading court papers and answer to the criminal charges against him rather than resort to vaingloriously patronising President Bola Tinubu.”

The statement said: “It was not Tinubu who asked him to print over 200,000 ATM-like cards allegedly used to carry out vote buying during the election. Tinubu will never support criminality and attempts to destroy the democratic process in the country. He will not condone people who subvert the democratic process through vote buying. He should wait patiently for his day in court rather than trying to patronise Tinubu. He should count Tinubu out of his predicament.”

The statement reads further: “President Tinubu is, no doubt, the father of the nation, just like Prince Dapo Abiodun is the father of Ogun State . Mr. President needs no reminders on that. As a genuine pro-democracy activist who paid enormous sacrifices for the democracy we now enjoy, President Tinubu will never provide cover for criminality by anyone no matter how rich or solicitous. Our dear President will never stand in the way of the law.

“Our advice is that Adebutu should stop gambling and running from pillar to post. No one is above the law. The returnee should stop evading court papers and answer to the criminal charges of vote buying and money laundering against him. He is only being intimidated by his own shadow

“Adebutu should stop advertising his ignorant and stubborn position that he could not be tried for laundering his “own money”. If he feels so strong on this naïve claim and funny stance, he should go and express it in the court of law.”

It would be recalled that the Ogun State PDP had in a press statement issued on the 9th December, 2023, said some of its members were charged for vote-buying by the Federal Government. It gave their names as Ogunbona Hammed, Tiramisu Waliu, Egunsola Owolabi, Moliki Badmus and Sanni Adejoke. The PDP, by its own account, said its members who are standing trial for vote-buying made statements linking Adebutu and four others who were at large. Over 52 debit cards with the inscription “Madam Caroline Adebutu” were found on the accused , along with PDP polling agents cards; and they have since been admitted in evidence by the Police.

“Adebutu should forget about patronising our dear president and demonstrate leadership by facing the law and not use his members and agents already facing trial as pawns. How can those who were found with thousands of preloaded debit cards with the inscription of “Madam Dame Caroline Adebutu” be charged for vote-buying and the person who provided the funds, as attested to in writing his bankers, Zenith Bank Plc , would shun court papers and carry on as if he is above the law?”, the APC asked.