NewsCrimeEdo Killing: 14 Suspects To Be Moved To Abuja – Gov Okpebholo

Edo Killing: 14 Suspects To Be Moved To Abuja – Gov Okpebholo

spot_img

By Ayodele Oni

Access Bank Advert

Fourteen suspects arrested so far in connection with the killing of some Hausa travelers at Uromi, in Edo State are to be moved to Abuja for further interrogation.

Edo state Governor Monday Okpebholo disclosed this on Monday during a condolence visit to the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau  Jibrin, over the killings of travellers in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area of Edo State.

The Special Adviser to the Deputy President of the Senate on Media and Publicity, Alhaji Ismail Mudashir, said the governor was at the Maitama residence of the Deputy President of the Senate in Abuja on Monday.

A mob had intercepted the innocent travellers who were on their way to Kano State for Sallah celebrations, ransacked their vehicle and gruesomely murdered them on Thursday. The victims who were hunters are from Kano State.

READ ALSO:  Edo Killing: Senator Dickson Cautions Against Reprisal Attack

The governor extended condolences to the Deputy President of the Senate, who is from Kano State, pledging that the state government will assist the families of the victims.

Governor Monday Okpebholo
Governor Monday Okpebholo: Suspects arrested so far to be moved to Abuja for further interrogation

While assuring that the perpetrators will face the full wrath of the law, he described the killings of the innocent travellers as unfortunate and condemnable.

“It’s unfortunate that it happened in our state. We are here to say, to let you and other people know that we are not happy.

“The president is doing something drastic about this. He’s not happy also. The IGP has swung into action. The DIG CID is in charge. So far, they have arrested 14 suspects.

“They are bringing them to Abuja for interrogation. We have also set up a committee to see that we take care of the families of the deceased.”

READ ALSO:  Ondo Renews Ban On Night Operation By Okada Riders

Responding, the Deputy President of the Senate said the perpetrators of the act must be brought to book to serve as a deterrent to others.

“We cannot undo what has been done. But we all want all Nigerians, what they are looking forward to is to make sure that these people are arrested and brought to justice.

“And you are doing well in that direction. And I’m also glad you’ve spoken about the fact that your government is ready to assist the families of those affected.

“I want you to continue to pursue the case so that all those who were involved in these barbaric actions are brought to justice. It’s a barbaric action, to say the facts.

“If they are brought to justice, it would serve as a deterrent to those who might want to do this in future. I know that people from other parts of the country have been staying with your people in Edo for centuries in a very conducive atmosphere.

READ ALSO:  DSP Barau Donates N16 Million To Families Of Hunters Killed In Edo, Confirms More Arrest

“And this barbaric act has never happened. I’m sure, under your watch, this will not happen again.

“I thank you very much. You’ve told me now that you’ll meet the Kano State governor. This is very good. Please continue what you are doing.

“Mr President also told us that you are doing very well in this direction, and we have seen it because, as I said, we have spoken several times on this matter in the last 72 hours.”


Discover more from The Source

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

The Source Magazine

Share your story or advertise with us: WhatsApp: +2348174884527, Email: contact@thesourceng.com

Your Comment Here

More articles

Discover more from The Source

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading