Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, on Monday, March 31, 2025, pledged that the State Government will assist the families of the victims of the mob attack and murder in Uromi.
The Source reports that about 16 indigenes of Kano said to be traveling to the ancient city from Port Harcourt were on Thursday March 26, killed by a mob, including some members of vigilante groups.
The victims said to be traditional hunters were said to have been mistaken for kidnappers by their attackers.
The unfortunate incident has since provoked widespread condemnation across the country, with not a few calling for justice for the victims and their families.
The Edo State Government has also been engaging with stakeholders in a bid to douse tension ,and calm frayed nerves.
On one of such trouble-shooting efforts ,Senator Okpebholo visited the Deputy Senate President, Jibrin Barau, himself from Kano, the home state of the victims at his Abuja residence on Monday.
A statement issued by Ismail Mudashir, the Media Aide to the Deputy Senate President, noted that Governor Okpebholo conveyed the sincere condolences of the Government and people of Edo State to Senator Barau.
The Edo State Governor according to the statement informed that so far 14 suspects have been arrested in connection with the sad incident.
While assuring that the culprits will face the full weight of the law, Governor Okpebholo promised that his administration will explore possible ways of assisting the families of those who lost their lives in the incident.
He stated that a committee to work out modalities for the assistance has been set up.
“It is unfortunate that it happened in our State. We are here to let you and other people know that we are not happy.
“The President is doing something about this. He is not happy also. The IG has swung into action. The DIG CID is in charge. So far, they have arrested 14 suspects.
So ,they are bringing them (the suspects) to Abuja for interrogation. We have also set up a Committee to see that we take care of the families of the deceased”, Governor Okpebholo stated.
Responding, the Deputy Senate President noted that much as the harm has been done, all men and women of good conscience are only asking for justice to be done as well.
“We cannot undo what has been done. But all we – all Nigerians – want is to make sure that the culprits are arrested and brought to justice.
“You are doing well in that direction. I am glad you have spoken about the fact that your Government is ready to assist the families of those affected.
“I want you to continue to pursue the case so that all those who were involved in this barbaric action are brought to justice .
“It is a barbaric action to say the fact. If they are brought to justice ,it would serve as a deterrent to those who might want to do this in future”, Barau stated.
Discover more from The Source
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.